25.6.08

Experience@Lehigh Univ MBA

ME: Good morning Sir
VO: Good morning Himanshu. How are you doing today?
ME: I am doing pretty good (placing my folder on the table in front without opening it)
VO: Can I have your token number please?
ME: Definitely
VO: Ok Himanshu… Why r u going to US?
ME: To do an MBA in Finance from Lehigh University.
VO: You have given GMAT right?
ME: Yes
VO: And (he was anticipating my GMAT score. But I thought he was asking me about other exams I took) ME: And TOEFL.
VO: (visa officer clarified his question) what was your score in GMAT.
ME: I scored a 670 on 800 (No response for some time…he was typing something on his PC…and maybe checking something on it as well...that’s when I hinted that I might have got it and my confidence went sky high and suddenly he fired my nightmare question)
VO: How many universities did you apply to? I had only applied to one university and many had recommended including my consultant that never to say that u have applied to only one university, stating that the VISA officer might look at u with suspicion as to why is he going only for this particular university, or he may think that u r very lazy. (As I had planned to be completely honest and had prepared for this question thoroughly, here comes my response)
ME: Sir before appearing for my GMAT I knew that my score would be in the range of 600-620 and based on that I had short listed 6 Universities. However Lehigh was my top choice. And the moment I scored a 670 on GMAT, I contacted some of the seniors to get their opinion on my chances of securing an admission at Lehigh. And they replied positively. Hence rather than troubling any of the admission staff at other universities (I made it a point not to mention the cost factor of applying to 6 universities, even though it was the major reason). I chose to apply only to Lehigh University.
VO: Why Lehigh ( I knew this was coming for sure after my previous response, hence I was prepared for this one as well)
Me:- Sir, Being an MBA aspirant for the past one year I knew one thing for sure that if u want your MBA to be worth anything in the corporate world, you have to do it from a reputed and recognized University. And Lehigh carries that reputation (the moment he heard this word the VISA officer rocked back on his chair and stretched his arms, which made me nervous, because I knew that might have heard this a thousand times before, so I knew that I had to cut my answer immediately or I may loose it) for its MBA program and it is recognized as well. And my friend at Lehigh recommended this University to me
VO: Ok. Who is sponsoring your studies?
ME: Both my parents. My mother and my father.
VO: And what are they?
ME: My mother is working as a Sectional Supervisor in a Government Company (I stressed on this word because I knew that it would have a good impact) MTNL i.e. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam LTD. And My Father is working as a professional Real Estate consultant. (As soon as I was about to finish my answer he handed over my I-20 and said the golden words.)
VO: Ok Himanshu your VISA has been issued
ME: (I was simply lost for words for the first time…I started shivering as well. However I managed to say) Thanks a lot sir. This was really an Awesome Experience!!!!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

No comments: